Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sophie by Pamela

‘Is golden ‘arted ‘ore ‘e calls me. As if I’s to be eva so cheerful to be in ‘is good grace. ‘E’s a right peacock wi’ the girls ‘e is. But ‘e comes to find me. I knows just what ‘e wants. I know just what ‘e’ll say, and ‘ow long ‘e’ll be ‘avin’ ta speak ‘afore ‘e needs ta loosin’ ‘is finery. The left cuff’ll come first, then the tie about ‘is neck. ‘E’ll want me ta ‘elp ‘im wi’ the otha one then, claimin’ ‘e’s not so agile with it. ‘E likes that I run me ‘ands over ‘is silks and brocade. I tell ‘im how grand ‘is taste–that such finery is most sure a fit for a gent like ‘imself. ‘Ow ‘is vest is like an emerald what the Queen ‘erself might wear. ‘E likes that I undo just one button from the bo’um, then I moves to the top an’ eva so slowly undo ‘em one by one. I’ve watched every move ‘e makes–‘e neva takes off ‘is stockings, and ‘e puts on ‘is left shoe first. Every time. I knows ta ‘ave ‘is fav’rit ale an sausage from The Swan in Kensington–‘e always wants ta eat a bit when ‘e’s finished wi’ me. An the’ll be extra in it for me if I makes ‘im a custard. I’m no’ adverse to a bit o’ fattery myself, mind ya–I lets ‘im fawn ova me soft and pliable like. It’s true there’s a draw in the life ‘e’s priv’leged to–no’ that I’ll eva see the likes of it–but the finest ladies cou’nt bed ‘im any the better, could they now. It’s all the same. So’s I let ‘im pull the sweet outta me, for a while. ‘E thinks it’s ‘im I’m sweet on. I jus’ pay attention, that’s all.

3 comments:

  1. Notes from Roy:
    This is an interesting look at this character and her life. Her description of this nobleman who is her regular customer tells us a lot about her situation, and about her - her watchfulness, attention to detail, awareness of the effect she has on him, and her knowledge of what her role is.

    It leaves me wondering why she chooses to talk about this particular person, how she feels about other customers, what the circumstances of her life are. Also, how she came to this profession.

    You're writing this in syntax that illustrates the accent, which is a choice you're making. It's also possible to write the piece with more normal language while including stage directions that note the nature of the accent that is intended.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. - Something to think about when writing in an accent, (and this comment is neither good or bad, you should just know what function it serves) the reader/actor will pre judge character based on accent and thickness. This a very uneducated lower class working girl (whore). Most likely from the East End in London. Perhaps very dumb and a thief. The danger is people will jump to conclusions and think they are right without another thought. It’s can be effective when you want that to happen but work against you when you don’t. Again, not good or bad, you should just know the effect it has.
    -e neva takes off ‘is stockings, and ‘e puts on ‘is left shoe first. - this says as much about her as it does about him. It makes me want to know why she pays so much attention. Safety? Money? She sweet on him? Does she care about him?
    -Golden hearted whore HE calls me. - Is she not so golden hearted? Is it part of her game? Does it give her pride?
    -I’m no’ adverse to a bit o’ fattery myself, mind ya–I lets ‘im fawn ova me soft and pliable like. - This is a great moment where she gets to enjoy her self. I wonder if he’s just playing a game, or if he’s sweet on her?
    -‘E thinks it’s ‘im I’m sweet on. I jus’ pay attention, that’s all. - something so sad about this line. For both of them.
    - Tons of great moments in the piece. It presents a lot of questions with out over analyzing them. It makes me want more.

    ReplyDelete