Thursday, September 23, 2010

Opening Nobelmen-9/23-Pamela

Pamela Martin
CW 602



(Opening in salon as Nobelman and friends are having drinks. Rather posh English accents.)

Clement

So, George. Where is it you’ll be off to this evening? Perhaps you’ll be paying a visit to
Miss Ginney? Or do you fancy Miss Sophie tonite?
George
I think Miss Sophie shall be graced with my company this evening gents. Ah, she does have a heart for me.
C.
Oh come, man. She’s the same as all the rest.
G.
Clement, dear boy, you have never cultivated the sensibilities to appreciate the pleasures afforded by such a woman as she.
C.
Yes then. And, could you enlighten me as to just what special qualities she possesses that might earn such high praise?
G.
Sir, you take me for a cad. I may, discreetly enough tell you that she anticipates my every need–(with a dramatic flourish)leads me into temptation, and finally, delivers me from evil. (Laughter from the gents) Our relations are...quite special.
C.
Ever so special is it then? My man, I would count myself the lesser of your companions if you were allowed to delude yourself one moment longer. I am afraid, good fellow, that you are unable to distinguish the sincere from the artificial .It’s merely an act, my man. A good act I’ll grant you. (Turning to the others) I myself have enjoyed a night out at the theatre while the missus sat busy with her needlepoint. (Laughing)
G.
Clement, dear boy. I couldn’t possibly expect you to understand that which transcends your experience. It is not merely the money that she needs...She simply finds me irresistible. I don’t think she could be sweeter.
C.
Then have yet another libation my good man. This in aid to your physique (pouring his drink), as an aperitif shall we say, for the repast that lies ahead. For my money good sir, a fine French wine is the sweeter still. But to each his own, eh gentlemen? (Toasting George) May the wind fill your sails as you cross the seas bountiful. (Offhand) And good luck getting there–the Marlebourne Road remains in rut and ruin these days.
G.
You are too kind by half. (Raising his glass) Gentleman, to your health.(They down their drinks)
(Lights down, then up on the interior of house where Gerte, Sophie and others reside)



Gerte
(Speaks with a cockneyed accent)
And how are you keeping this fine evening Govenor? Well I do hope.
George
Yes, indeed. All goes well with me.
Gerte
I’m ever so glad to hear such. Always a pleasure to see you again in this part of town. I see you’ve brought along one of those bottles of wine you’re so fond of. Would you like I should open it for you? We might have a little drink just between the two of us, eh Gov?
George
Oh I do appreciate the offer madam, but I was thinking that perhaps Miss Sophie might be about...to share this small token of my esteem?
Gerte
Oh yes, of course Sir. Mind you, Miss Sophie’s just popped around the corner on a moment’s notice like. Maybe you and me could pass an hour or so sampling some of what must surely be the nectar of the gods. Eh, Govenor?
George
(disentangling himself) Madam. Your generosity overwhelms me. I can in all honesty but admit that I have been too long pining for... the smile, the perfume, of the beloved Miss Sophie.
Gerte
(Rebuffed) Oh yes, well I understands perfectly Govenor. You know, Miss Ginney’s here about. Nice girl, Ginney. Lovely really.
George
Yes, Miss Ginney. Yes, lovely.
Gerte
I don’t know when Miss Sophie might likely be returning–you could share that “token of your esteem” with Miss Ginney alright.
George
Madam, I am, if anything, a patient man.
Gerte
Yes, of course you are. Why I knows you for a right gentleman the first I laid eyes on you. Nows if you were to-- (Gerte stops short as Sophie enters)
Sophie (startled)
Oh, well. Hello, then...Sir George. Isn’t this a pleasant surprise then.
Gerte
The Govenor here was just saying hows where you were concerned, Sophie dear, he was as patient as the day is long. Isn’t that right, Gov?
George
Yes, I was in fact. (Looking Sophie up and down) Just that.
Gerte
Yes, and he’s brought this fancy bottle of – (George cuts her off)
George
This extraordinary Bordeaux, Sophie. For you. Shall we partake of some in more intimate quarters?
Sophie
Well, Sir George. I can’t imagine how a girl might refuse such a lavishness then. I’ve a glass or two for just such, if you’d care to join me. (George and Sophie exit)
Gerte (calling after them)
Always a pleasure, Govenor.
(Gerte busies herself as lights go down)

1 comment:

  1. Notes from Roy:
    This is a good series of encounters that gives us a revealing insight into these characters and this world. George's insistence on Sophie's attraction to him is in conflict with his friend's more cynical interpretation. The friend seems to have the more accurate idea, and we're left to wonder about the nature of George's infatuation.

    In the scene with Gerte, George hangs onto his original request. He really has a sense of loyalty or love towards Sophie, and resists all blandishments. Gerte seems disappointed, which makes us wonder why. Does her ego require that she be chosen? Would it be better for business if he didn't fixate on Sophie? Does she fear his single-mindedness, perhaps because she fears Sophie might come to harm if he were forced to face up to reality?

    Roy

    ReplyDelete