Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Randall Jong's Response to Fringe and summary of Play

Randall Jong

Fringe Response and Play outline


1. I thought “The Ballad of 423 and 424” and “Brave, Battling Autism” were two plays that really captured my imagination for the stage. In “Brave, Battling Autism” the use of silence and movement were surprising because it took me to an uncomfortable place. I wanted to here them say something, but when they didn’t I was more focused on the little details: the way he kept fiddling with his hands, the way she looked at him. And then they danced and conveyed so much information about their relationship than what words can. The Character of the MC was really compelling because she was speaking Spanish (which I know very little of) and held this camera that zoomed in on those physical details. Why was she there? Why was she needed?
For “The Ballad of 423 and 424” I thought the use of set and light were truly effective in portraying Ellen and Roderick’s relationship. The doors at the end of the play, when they were opened, was such a strong image for me because it gave me a visual space where I can see the change of the story. It left me wondering if those doors will ever be closed.

2. The relationship between Angie and Boy is a sibling affair with this “ideal” couple of Carol and Mike causing the action and drama. While I was writing the rest of this one act play, Carol and Mike became really strong characters that further developed into Angie and the Boy’s relationship. The lie Angie told that her and the Boy are getting married gets to be the base for other lies and secrets, and for me, it allowed the characters to explore their carnal desires and wants. One of the problems I have is to effectively tie in certain themes into the play…like the theme of being someone or something else (reincarnation). I find that theme strong in all four characters: Angie, Boy, Carol, and Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment