Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Our Husband's Mothers

POLICE MAN

Tell us the relationship with your husband.

LADY

He’s my husband.

POLICEMAN

Okay.

LADY

We fuck exclusively.

POLICEMAN

Besides that.

LADY

I don’t know, sir, are you asking me about my theories on marriage?

POLICEMAN

Just your particular marriage.

LADY

I believe in two people having their own thing and sharing a bed. That’s what we do. I teach and dance but at the end of the day, my husband knows I’m coming back to him. Sometimes we share stuff, sometimes he sees my shows. Most of the time, we just hold each other, after sex. Is that what you wanted to know.

POLICEMAN

It’s kind of helpful. Does your husband share his passions with you?

LADY

Oh, he has passion, no doubt about that.

POLICEMAN

What does he do?

LADY

He works. And he likes to fight—

POLICEMAN

Fight?

LADY

MMA. And boxing. I go see his fights sometimes. When I’m not in a show.

POLICEMAN

Would you say you’re best friends?

LADY

Excuse me?

POLICEMAN

Do you and your husband—are you and your husband close?

LADY

Of course, don’t nobody else do what we do with each other.

POLICEMAN

Are you sure about that?

LADY

Sir, what are you asking me? If you want to know if he tells me every second of his day, the answer is hell no. I don’t need to know. He shares his emotions when he needs to, I share mines. And we, you know, fuck it out. And fight sometimes, and pray too. But mostly we just relax. That’s how we support each other. He is not my everything. I am not his everything. But we are each other’s.

POLICEMAN

Do you know he kills people. And sells drugs.

LADY

We each have our own thing.

POLICEMAN

You don’t mind?

LADY

If what you’re saying is true, I don’t see how that automatically makes him a bad person. Don’t you kill people?

POLICEMAN

It’s not exactly the same thing.

LADY

So, what, if my husband joined the arm forces, or the police, he’d all of a sudden not be a murderer. What is the definition of murder, sir?

POLICEMAN

I think we misunderstand each other…

LADY

I think you don’t understand. You think wars are only official if they’re legal.

POLICEMAN

What if I told you, your husband cheated on you?

LADY

He wouldn’t do that.

POLICEMAN

What if I had proof? Would you think he was bad?

LADY

It wouldn’t make him a bad person…maybe a bad husband, but not a bad person… Just like the other stuff…maybe it makes him a bad citizen, but he is no worse than you and I.

POLICEMAN

We have proof of him spending time with this woman…a Miss Gloria Harper. Do you know her.

LADY

No, I don’t recognize her.

POLICEMAN

He spends a lot of time with her. And we have records of phone calls.

LADY

What kind of case are you making, sir.

POLICEMAN

I think you don’t know your husband, miss.

LADY

I know more than meets the eye, and that’s enough for me.

POLICEMAN

A faithful woman.

LADY

I try. I’m not perfect, but I try.

POLICEMAN

Have you always been this loyal?

LADY

That’s marriage.

POLICEMAN

You’re a beautiful woman, you could probably have your choice of any man.

LADY

Thank you.

POLICEMAN

So, why this man?

LADY

Everyone else is boring. People who pretend to be good, are hiding something. Even the saints know they’re sinners, but bad priests and policemen…try to seem perfect. What are your sins, officer? You throwing rocks from your own pile? Are you faithful to your wife? Have you always been?

POLICEMAN

I’m divorced.

LADY

Why?

POLICEMAN

(Pause) She was a liar.

LADY

Did she cheat?

POLICEMAN

I think so.

LADY

Well, I’m sorry about that.

POLICEMAN

So you don’t know about your husband’s involvement with this woman? Or do you pretend not to see his… discrepancies.

LADY

I see everything, sir. And I still love. Maybe that’s stupid, but love is stupid, and criminals deserve love—they need it just like you. Maybe you’re jealous of my husband.

POLICEMAN

He’s lucky in one department, I guess.

LADY

May I keep this picture.

POLICEMAN

Sure.

LADY

She’s pretty.

POLICEMAN

Not as pretty as you.

LADY

I know that. But that doesn’t matter in the moment.

POLICEMAN

Do you have doubts, Mrs. Flores?

LADY

Everybody has doubts, Mr. Warner. It’s how we go about living with them that matters.

POLICEMAN

Your husband will be going under trial when we find him. And there will be plenty of evidence against his character.

LADY

Well, this is the only part I’m interested in. (Pause) What did you say her name was?

POLICEMAN

Gloria. Harper. Gloria Harper.

LADY

Thank you. I heard you the first time.

POLICEMAN

So, you won’t testify against him? Or for him?

LADY

Like I said, sir, I didn’t marry someone to be perfect, or even to reflect the beliefs I know are true and good. I married my match. And we made a pact. And that’s the only thing I have to testify to. With God. The rest is your job. (Pause) Are we done?

POLICEMAN

Are you all right, Mrs. Flores?

LADY

Nancy. I’m fine. May I go?

POLICEMAN

I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m just trying to find out the truth.

LADY

Why?

POLICEMAN

Because somebody is always guilty.

LADY

Well, you definitely have strong evidence.

POLICEMAN

I’m sorry.

LADY

Why are we always looking to blame somebody? Do you solve anything with your killing and arresting, officer Warren? What does the law do for us except point a finger?

POLICEMAN

I don’t know. It gives us a sense of what’s right.

LADY

By showing us we’re always wrong? (Pause) We just had one rule… But everything gets broken. Everything is broken. We should have laws that fix things, don’t you think. I think, I think if what you’re saying is true…then my husband’s punishment should be, to have to love me anyway. And fuck me every night until he forgets every other woman he’s touched. As for your issue with him…I think you…and him…should go to all the homes you’ve broken…of all the people you’ve taken sons away from…and serve them. And instead of taxes…instead of them paying for the poison you shoot into criminals, and the prisons you build, people should have to pay with their hearts. And let you serve them.

POLICEMAN

Are you suggesting I serve you, Nancy?

LADY

I suggest you go to Carlos’ mother’s house with wine and a box of chocolates. And that you make my home his prison. My bed his cell… And send him out to work in the houses or work places of everyone he’s hurt along the way.

POLICEMAN

Mrs. Flores, for someone who knows how the world works, you sound very idealistic.

LADY

I guard myself from the world, Mr. Warren. It’s a shady place and it’s blind to the good. I’m an ignorant. Maybe you should be talking to someone else. Maybe this Miss Harper will have the answers you want.

POLICEMAN

All right. Thank you for your time.

LADY

Have a nice night. (Pause) And…fuck you, Mr. Warren. For looking for the bad. Seeking it out…

POLICEMAN

It can’t be ignored.

LADY

Did your divorce make you any happier? Was it…what’s the word, retribution, Mr. Warren? Did it give you peace?

POLICEMAN

Maybe ignorance is more peaceful, Mrs. Flores.

LADY

Maybe forgiveness is.

POLICEMAN

I’ll get the door for you, if you let me.

LADY

Fine.

POLICEMAN

(Pause) Will you forgive me, Nancy?

LADY

You didn’t do anything, Mr. Warren. It’s better to know the truth.

POLICEMAN

I think so too. But the truth hurts sometimes.

LADY

It does…but it what’s we think we have to do because of the truth that hurts even more.

POLICEMAN

You’re very wise.

LADY

That’s only because you’re not my husband.

POLICEMAN

Well tell him, we say hello. And that we look forward to meeting him.

LADY

Goodbye.

POLICEMAN

I’d take you out for coffee, sometime, Mrs…Nancy.

LADY

Excuse me?

POLICEMAN

You’re a good woman. You deserve to be treated right—

LADY

Goodbye, officer.

POLICEMAN

I didn’t mean to disrespect—

LADY

Yes you did. It’s okay…I’m good at keeping secrets. I’m shutting the door now.

POICEMAN

Oh, yeah. Sure. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Notes from Roy:
    This is an interesting and dynamic encounter that has a good sense of ebb and flow. Nancy's hard-nosed attitude stands up for awhile, but as she digests the news of her husband's infidelity she softens and becomes more vulnerable. She then turns around and fights that vulnerability by going on the attack.

    When she asks to keep Gloria's picture, when she asks for Gloria's name, when she goes off on blame, she seems to reveal the fact that beneath her loyalty to her husband she has long harbored suspicions. Her rant on punishment is almost childish, yet there's a ring of truth, and a sense that she has spent a lot of time thinking about this - and about the different worlds of those who arrest and those who are arrested.

    There's lots of great territory to explore from this, in both Nancy and the officer. Each has an intriguing character and story to consider.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete